Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Reunion!!

I will preface this blog by stating that I was out tonight with friends and had two gin and sevens and one liquid cocaine shot. Should make things nice and juicy!!

So the weekend highlight was my class reunion. I always wonder what makes people anxious about their class reunions?? Could it be the people that you never talked to in high school and still don't talk to staring at you across the room? Could it be the physical changes that happen as time goes by i.e. loss of hair, weight gain, sagging? Could it be the judging people that judged you all during high school and continue to judge? Or the judging people from high school who are now janitors at Hardees. Or the really geeky kid who now works for the FBI or NASA or some other organization that has an acronym? Could it be wondering who will show up at all? Could it be seeing who has turned into the biggest trainwreck? Could it be seeing who has the cutest spouse/significant other? So many questions. I admit, I was a little self conscious about going to the reunion myself. I am not the same size that I was in high school and time does change things. I think we all reflect a bit before a class reunion.

When we got to the class reunion (we meaning my high school bestie Lisa and her husband Steve) we were pleasantly greeted by two alums, Stacy Heim Kraft and Annee Hood. Both ladies are bubbly and fun (just like in hs) and were great greeters! We walked in with another alum, Robin Perry who now has striking blonde hair (physical change), but also looked great! We immediately started chatting with various classmates and catching up with their lives. It was really great to see classmates mingling all night, and never seeing high school cliques!! What a new idea!! I think I was able to talk to almost every one of my classmates and I truly enjoyed that! It was a great reunion!

So let's start the breakdown. It was clear from the get go that my dear friends Melissa and Tammy had started drinking before the rest of us and were clearly lit by the start of the reunion. I would not judge as I've been that person a million times over believe me!! They were great fun and we all did a shot in honor of our classmate Moose and even took a picture as she requested exactly who was to do the shots. Miss ya Moose!! Other absent classmates included Andy Lenning (in Okoboji), Kent Clendenen (in Humboldt), Trista Kleve (in Florida), and many others. All in all we had a great turn out! So who was the trainwreck?? That title goes to my friend Erik Falck. Erik had clearly had enough and was having fun come hell or highwater! This included lots of fabulous comments and lots of grabbing asses. There's gotta be one right?? At least there was no throwing up or passing out, slapping or punching (like the 5 year) which is more than I can say for Friday night when a crew went out to the Knotty Pine (non-Humboldt folks you heard me right, the Knotty Pine)!! Erik had two unforgettable moments for me during the evening. During the class picture he kept reaching across me to grab onto Paula Eackoff and I scolded him and placed his hands on his lap and later he was trying to grab the ass of DeDee Merris and I scolded him then as well.

I brought all three of my high school yearbooks to peruse throughout the evening. It was great to see lots of very ratted out hair, sweaters, and very interesting senior picture backgrounds. Remember, the tall wicker chair, the directors chair, the laser lights, the always classic outdoors shot, and various other back drops which is what they were. And don't forget shoulder pads!! Thank God we have all evolved and I have no real fashion blunders to report!! I was actually amazed at how wonderful everyone really looked!! There were plenty of glitzy jeans, fashion tops, cleavage, and wedge shoes to go on forever, but the favorites of the night: Traci Torkelson's pink shoes, Lisa David's gold sequins purse, Annee Hood's black skirt, and Amy Peterson's semi-glitzy top. Cute! Cute! Cute!

So after hours of talking, drinking, eating, and gossiping, we were ready to have a nightcap including the famous Pasquales pizza made to order at the famous Knotty Pine! We soon found out from a classmate that there was no one at the Pine and they decided to close down for the night!! On a Saturday! Only in a small town! So the pizza idea was shot, what do we do?? Traci Torkelson suggests we visit the new bar/dance club (which is still hard to believe in Humboldt) called The Prowler! I had no longer heard the name and knew we had to go! The "club" had a semi-dance floor and very little space. As we walked in they had Kareoke. As I went to get a songbook, the bartender informed me that too many people were here now so both workers had to be behind the bar and the Kareoke was shut down. Fine, we'll dance!! The dance floor was priceless! As we started dancing, the bubble and light machines started up! They were actually fantastic! We had proceeded to have a dance-off with another class reunion group.. The evening ended with the sound of an air horn (not kidding!). That means last call. We kept talking of course, and again the air horn. We continued chatting and the air horn happened a third time! At this point, Lisa's husband has had it and says we will leave before that ******* horn sounds again. We leave.

I just want to say to my classmates that I had the best time seeing everyone and catching up! I feel that our class is very special and everyone is a valuable part of the entire picture! Can't wait until the next reunion! Thanks for the memories! Read the blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment